Rack Performer 0.99-beta4 - a few questions and requests

Rack Performer 0.99-beta4 - a few questions and requests

Dear Developers,

Recently I tried to control the RP Interface via touchscreen. And so it would be nice if it would be possible to map the TAP Tempo function in the Main Interface to a control button with a gui. If this is possible perhaps I couldn’t find it. Sorry.

Another question regarding TAP Tempo: is it possible to generate a tapped tempo via a midi command? (Workaround: a digital mixing console generates Midi commands tapped by the user and rack performer generates the desired tempo.)

Another feature would be a bypass Button in every module so easily switch on and off an effect.

Regarding labels I like to use some labels for different channel strips in my patch. For me the fact that an label is represented by an object in the patch mode is a little bit confusing, because they take very much space and so I get confused very easily. I think that a special gui or a smaller method to setup a label would be more comfortable.

Another feature request is regarding the gui of the switches. Is it possible to label the switch buttons individually? I am using rackperformer in a live-mixing workaround and so I am using more effects in different routes in the same input channel (when I don’t need them parallel, to save the number of channels). For me it would be more efficient to label the switch channels directly than putting labels on the patch and then place them on the performtab.

The oneshot Plugin is a nice one, would it also be possible to play a mp3 or a wma?

Thanks so far and I hope your development is running good in your eyes!

Cheers
stzerre wrote:
Recently I tried to control the RP Interface via touchscreen. And so it would be nice if it would be possible to map the TAP Tempo function in the Main Interface to a control button with a gui.

If you mean to map the tap-tempo to an external controller (ex: MIDI or computer keyboard) yes it is possible. But if you mean by using the RemoteControl modules inside RP (ex: Remote Switch etc) then no it is currently not possible.

We would need to add a "Remote Trigger" module (same as Remote Switch but with a push button instead) Then we would also need to upgrade the RemoteControl modules such that they can target application global control ports too (at the moment they can only target modules in the patch) Not necessarily a lot of work, but we need to be sure it is really what you want.

Quote:
Another question regarding TAP Tempo: is it possible to generate a tapped tempo via a midi command? (Workaround: a digital mixing console generates Midi commands tapped by the user and rack performer generates the desired tempo.)

So if you want to map the tap tempo control to an external MIDI controller, you need to right-click on the tap button in the transport bar and select "Quick MIDI map", then move/push the appropriate control on your hardware device.

Alternatively you can also select the "Live > Synopsis" menu entry, and expand the "Rack Performer" node. There you will have access to all application global control ports, and they can all be mapped in the same way as module control ports.

Now if you want to synchronize RP tempo to an external source, it is a different story, and you need to use either MIDI Clock or MIDI Timecode (MTC) as synchro protocol. This is setup in the "Synchro" configuration tab.

Quote:
Another feature would be a bypass Button in every module so easily switch on and off an effect.

All VST modules have a Cut-port (bypass for effects, mute for instruments) All our internal modules also have a Cut-port, excepted when it doesn't make sense (ex: a matrix mixer can not be bypassed in any sane way, so it doesn't have a Cut-port, same for some small utility modules where it would be a waste of CPU cycles)

Now in all cases, you can toggle the Cut-port via the module context menu (right-click on the module GUI) and in all cases the Cut-port can be mapped to any controller (MIDI, keyboard) On the other hand, the Cut-port itself is not necessarily displayed on the module GUI.

We made it visible for most of our internal modules when we considered muting/bypassing was an integral part of the module workflow or when it was very likely to be used. For the others, the functionality is there, but less accessible. For VST modules, when you select the "racked" VST GUI-wrapper (which has just been upgraded in 99-beta5) there is also a control on the upper left of the wrapper.

Tip: if you have configured the keyboard mapper and enabled the numeric pad controls, you can very easily toggle the Cut-port of the module having control focus (green frame around GUI) by using the numeric pad "." key.

Quote:
Regarding labels I like to use some labels for different channel strips in my patch. For me the fact that an label is represented by an object in the patch mode is a little bit confusing, because they take very much space and so I get confused very easily. I think that a special gui or a smaller method to setup a label would be more comfortable.

Yes we will add per channel labels for the upcoming advanced mixer modules (because as you might have noticed, the CamoMixer line is meant to be super compact and light on the CPU but they are very limited feature-wise. They are meant to mix multi-channel sources easily whereas the new mixers will mostly be for mono/stereo mixing)

We also will try to add labels whenever it is possible and makes sense. Some modules already have labels, like all meters, the CamoGain, stereo pan etc. To edit these labels, just rename the module in the patcher.

Quote:
Another feature request is regarding the gui of the switches. Is it possible to label the switch buttons individually? I am using rackperformer in a live-mixing workaround and so I am using more effects in different routes in the same input channel (when I don’t need them parallel, to save the number of channels). For me it would be more efficient to label the switch channels directly than putting labels on the patch and then place them on the performtab.

Yes this makes sense and we will see what we can do. Meanwhile, and I know it is not optimal, you can rename the module in the patcher to display the choices by "cheating" with space insertion. Ex: "Choice A Choice B Choice C...". But I just tested while writing and obviously it needs some corrections to work properly (the name is cropped when it is too long)

Quote:
The oneshot Plugin is a nice one, would it also be possible to play a mp3 or a wma?

MP3 support is very problematic due to the licensing model. It will definitely be added at some point, but it is very likely that OGG and FLAC support will be added before. Please be patient!
_______
Live Factory Team

Subscribe to our newsletter