[closed] The VST-scan process is really bad right now (RP 0.96-alpha)

[closed] The VST-scan process is really bad right now (RP 0.96-alpha)

This is a crucial point for all VST-host:

you need to be able to properly deal with dangerous VST-plugins during their scan.

Rack Performer fails on my machine as badly as none other host I have tried before.

If you insist on atempting to initialize all scanned plugins, you need to provide a plan B in case this goes wrong with certain plugins.

Fact: some of the thousands of plugins out there will be able to crash your host. Your hosts needs to be prepared for this.

The common trick is to create an exclude-file. Also it is important to show the user
what plugin your software is currently scanning, in order to enable him to help your host in case something goes wrong.

Rack Performer stalled almost instantly on my machine. Upon restarting, the same happens.

This means, currently RP is utterly unable to deal with my plugin-folder.

And I can't even re-configure the VST path within RP.

SO I would have to delete its configuration .ini (or whatever it uses).

But where is this configuration-file anyway?
Hi Jens,

Sorry for the delay.

Your problem is quite unfortunate because we re-worked the VST scanner a lot in previous release, so we thought all problems were fixed, but this is obviously not the case...

Plug-ins are initialized by default in order to distinguish effects from instruments, but this can be disabled in the configuration.

We do have a black-listing mechanism in place, and in most cases, even if the scan crashes, relaunching the application should continue and skip the problematic plugin (by the way did you try restarting a couple of times?)

The configuration file can be deleted by hand, it's located here:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<-your-user-name->\Local Settings\Application Data\Abeem\RP\config\RP_config.xml" (WinXP)

or

"C:\Users\<-your-user-name->\AppData\Local\Abeem\RP\config\RP_config.xml" (WinVista/Win7)

Could you please send us your error logs? They are located in the same place (parent directory) and they will help us diagnose your problem.
_______
Live Factory Team
Any better with last release?
_______
Live Factory Team
uhm... sorry for the scandalously late reply.

I disabled the .dll loading check and now all is fine.

But prior to disabling it, 0.96 alpha 3 still crashed almost instantly without indicating what plugin was the culprit. Also I had to kill the process manually (in Win7 64bit), because otherwise the crashed application would keep on hanging (with two open windows).
What could really help us:

- Launch the application, enable the .dll loading check in the config, hit "apply", then hit "scan VST plug-ins" and let the application crash or hang, and/or kill the process.

- Now the log files should have traces of what went wrong. If you post them here we'll be able to work on the problem and try to solve it

(in fact just the error_log.xml file will be enough, don't bother with the others)
_______
Live Factory Team

Subscribe to our newsletter